36-1 Crank Wheels

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
long283
Helpful Squirter

36-1 Crank Wheels

Post by long283 »

I have put in a couple of drawings to get a quote for laser cutting.
They will be made out of 3mm mild-steel. One is a 6inch wheel (to suit holden straight sixes). And a 7inch wheel ( to suit 6 3/4" to 7" balancers, eg. chev).
If anyone is interested let me know in the next couple of days. I am based in Sydney.
I can email the .dxf or .dwg files but double check if the dimensions are correct/suitable for your application.

Or if anyone has any comments on the design lets hear them.
Attachments
36-1 Wheel 6inch Ver_1.jpg
(128.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
36-1 Wheel 7inch Ver_2.jpg
(140.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Re: 36-1 Crank Wheels

Post by wagon »

If only.... I've had a cad drawing for 36-1 wheels for a few years now ; it could have saved you some work.

Also, some vr sensors don't work as well will thinner wheels - thicker seems to give a higher output voltage. Mine is 5mm, works very well.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

wagon wrote:If only.... I've had a cad drawing for 36-1 wheels for a few years now ; it could have saved you some work.

Also, some vr sensors don't work as well will thinner wheels - thicker seems to give a higher output voltage. Mine is 5mm, works very well.
Just out of interest, could you use hall instead of a VR as the pickup with one of these wheels?
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

The wheels are going to cost between $20-25. I think I will get four of each. I plan on using two of the large and one of the small ones, the rest are for spares or future projects. Don't worry, I use CAD at work and it doesn't take me long to draw/modify a drawing.

I was thinking of using a gear tooth sensor (hall-effect) like this one http://au.farnell.com/allegro-microsyst ... tt=1278528. A workmate used one with an electric motor turning to 24000rpm, using 3mm wide tooth, 3mm gaps, 10-teeth on the wheel. The specs say they will handle up to 8kHz.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

Ok. Wheels are being made.
I changed the thickness to 5mm to be on the safe side, plus that gives me the option of using a VR sensor instead.
8)
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Metalfab_101 wrote:
wagon wrote:If only.... I've had a cad drawing for 36-1 wheels for a few years now ; it could have saved you some work.

Just out of interest, could you use hall instead of a VR as the pickup with one of these wheels?
Can't see any reason.. I think Jaycar sell an 'automotive' style hall sensor with wires and such reason to go. You'd need a thin wheel to pass through the gap, it's only little.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

Got the 36-1 wheels back. They look quite neat, very happy with them.
I'll order the sensors and some other electronics for the semi-sequential conversion either tonight or tomorrow.
I've got the car running with the MS2 Extra code now and have modified a second MS2 to run 4 x coil packs & 4 x ignition channels. I just need to build the output circuits.
I'll post some more info when I get a bit more done.
aphesis
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by aphesis »

That came out well.

Just a question, how do you centre it on the balancer and is there a chance of it moving once it is bolted down?

Do you have any pics of the motor, interested in placement of the sensor.

Thanks
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

The balancer has three 3/8UNF bolts to hold the v-belt pulley on. I was going to change the crank-balancer bolt to a stud to centralise the 36-1 wheels but haven't found what I want for that at the moment. The three bolts should hold the 36-1 wheel fairly central with only a small amount of adjustment needed.

I've also welded a large nut on the front of a 36-1 wheel and will be trying that out. The nut will make it a lot easier to turn the motor over to adjust the timing or rocker clearance. I used a TIG welder to tack it in four places without warping it much.

The Chev engines have two 3/8"UNC bolt holes on the front block just above the oil pan rail. Mounting the sensor using these holes will place the sensor inside the v-belt loop so that the fan-belt can still be removed without moving the sensor.

I'll try to get some photos up shortly.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

Here's a picture of the 36-1 wheel installed,
The three bolts keep the wheel quite centralised. I made up three aluminium spacers to go behind and stop the wheel pulling into the pulley dish.
In the middle of the picture you can see the two bolt holes, currently being used for the alternator bracket, that will hold the hall-sensor or VR-sensor. I hope to get that done this week and start using the C.A.S. because the distributor keeps coming loose at the moment.