Oldie but a Newbie

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
lotuselanman
MegaSquirt Newbie

Oldie but a Newbie

Post by lotuselanman »

Hi,
Les Mellor, live in the recently damp SEQ, north of Ipswich.
As an oldie I am in the Points and Carby era, have a Lotus Cortina that I used in recent years in competition.
Also a self built Clubman type race car powered by a Nissan SR Turbo, bit of a rocket ship.
My road / tow car is a Volvo 242GT fitted with a Borg Warner T5 5speed box and a 740 Turbo engine, the wiring as is common on Turbo Volvos is a real rats nest, amazes me it ever ran.
I will have to atleast rewire it but have the urge to update the EMS to a MegaSquirt set up. Using something different is one of my foibles as you can see by my race cars.
Trouble is get to talk to or communicate with like minded folk who have been down the MS track with success.
Hopefully this is the right step, I have been talking to Ben at DIY Auto Tune and he has given me a list of items with an assembled MS 2 and required items that looks godd as the price.
So hopefully I will get some good advice from you people, one problem is I am not a Computor person, for communication I'm fine but when the Tech talk starts it goes over my my head, no hair to stop at the ripe old phart age of 67. Still to grow up
but very eager to learn and be involved.
With a group like like minded oldies some time ago and the the of topic of when we were going to grow up was raised, it was decided to not to both !!
Thanks,
Les.

PS. Saw a good sticker on a Hot Rod : Growing old is compulsery, grow up is optional.
Stag76
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Oldie but a Newbie

Post by Stag76 »

I'm running a Dolomite Sprint engine in a Triumph TR7 that I have fitted MS Injection and Coil Pack Ignition to. I'm in Gatton, and can come down sometime to go over it if you like.
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

I'm on the gold coast and have done a few megasquirt installs now on a range of engines. I always buy my stuff from DIY. There postage is very quick and the online ordering is easy.

Cheers

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

I'm in Toowoomba and I'm regularly driving past Ipswich, so I may be able to help too.

Maybe it's nearly time for another SE Qld megasquirt get-together?
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
lotuselanman
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by lotuselanman »

Gidday,
Great to see three supportive replies, thanks.
My phone # 3294-6888,you are very welcome to drop in or we could meet somwhere for a yarn.
And Daniel, I would like to arrange a meeting place with you at your convienence.
Thanks again,
Les.
PugMonkey
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by PugMonkey »

Hi Everyone,
I'm Mark Henry from Southport Qld. I read this thread with interest as I am in the same boat as Les. Puting these things together is a breeze for me as I have been building electronic components all my life. My problem will be getting the ECU to talk to the PC and loading maps etc.

I have just completed a fun car with an engine transplant and now ready to go down the megasquirt path as I can see it provides the best value for money. If you guys end up having a pub night or meeting night, do you mind if I tag along? Travel out west will not be a problem.

Many thanks,
Mark
0438 914990
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Another one! Welcome, Mark!

It must be time to put the grog in the fridge and get prepared for a get-together. Anyone have any ideas for a date?

My workshop in Toowoomba would be OK if people want to drive up the hill. (High altitude tuning anyone?)

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
PugMonkey
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by PugMonkey »

I would be happy to make the trip. It would take me a couple of hours but i feel well worth the effort.

Do you have an automotive work shop or are you a hobby'ist like me?
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

PugMonkey wrote: Do you have an automotive work shop or are you a hobby'ist like me?
I have an electronics repair workshop that happens to have a good sized yard, a big compressor and a hoist. Lucky me!

PugMonkey
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by PugMonkey »

Aaaawwwww super! I have the electronics work shop but only a single car garage and a set of car ramps. ...lol

Here is a link to show I have been up too

http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 1QQtppZZ20