Microsquirt on 6v

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Microsquirt on 6v

Post by wagon »

Hello!

I've got a mate who's thinking about converting his old 'Condor' single-pot 350 to efi. It's a 6V system and we want to keep the old dear fairly original looking.

Will a microsquirt (or megasquirt) run OK from 6V?

It'd be a ripper little machine with decent fueling since the carby is worn out. Any small fuel pumps and injectors to suggest?
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
bluehaze
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Microsquirt on 6v

Post by bluehaze »

Hey Wagon
Concerning the MS unit, I reckon the 6v fed into the voltage regulator will be too low, most linear regulators need input volts of about 2 volts greater than the output (5) volts.
I think you'd be pushing it to find an injector which runs on 6 volts, let alone finding one with the correct flow rate.
May I suggest a 6-12volt buck/boost dc-dc converter? Have a look around, you should be able to get one capable of running one pump, the MS and an injector, as well as running happily with the no doubt less than ideal 6 volts coming from the magneto on the old Duke.
FB Holden 3.3 Blacky running MS V3 fuel and ignition.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

bluehaze wrote:Hey Wagon
Concerning the MS unit, I reckon the 6v fed into the voltage regulator will be too low, most linear regulators need input volts of about 2 volts greater than the output (5) volts.
I think you'd be pushing it to find an injector which runs on 6 volts, let alone finding one with the correct flow rate.
May I suggest a 6-12volt buck/boost dc-dc converter? Have a look around, you should be able to get one capable of running one pump, the MS and an injector, as well as running happily with the no doubt less than ideal 6 volts coming from the magneto on the old Duke.
The 5v regulator used in the MS boxes is a low-dropout type, but it still needs around 5.5V to work properly. I'm trying to talk my friend into rewinding the stator for 12V so we can run everything as per 'normal'.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I will be interested to see how this project turns out. I just bought a CRM 250 and I am planning to put EFI on it.

Have a look into using a Bosch FRP (Fuel Rail Press.) sensor and controlling the fuel pump speed in a returnless system if you want to keep current draw low.
Here's a link with some info;
http://www.madhu.com/content/Main/FuelPumpController

And here's a boost converter if for bringing the voltage up to 12V
http://littlebirdelectronics.com/produc ... -converter