Mitsubishi V6 Distributor

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
Triumph
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Triumph »

Hi.
I am converting a Triumph TR5 (2.5ltr 6cyl) to MS-Pro(MS3X) utilizing a modified Mitsubishi 3ltr V6 set up. Only the manifold has been modified to fit the straight 6 and the distributor to fit the Lucas drive. Also no MAF, going MAP.

All the other components are used. Questions are.
1. What is the wiring for the distributor, ie what are the 4 wires for?
2. How does the variable length manifold servo work.
3. What are the 4 wires for the TPS for.

I have already converted ,my TR3A to MS3X with wasted spark and fully sequential injection.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Re: Mitsubishi V6 Distributor

Post by long283 »

I think you will need to find a wiring diagram for the Mitsubishi that the V6 came from then carry out some testing.

1. The 4 wires on the distributor (if it is an optical sensor) could be GND, +5V, crank signal, cam/home signal.
2. The servo may have power for a dc motor with a potentiometer feedback using 3-wires (GND, +5V, position signal). Or it may only have discrete outputs when it is at set positions.
3. A TPS will usually have 3-wires, GND, +5V, throttle position signal, the 4th wire may be a microswitch to indicate to the ECU that the throttle is closed at idle.

The wiring diagram will probably give you the most information.
Good luck with the testing. It should liven the Triumph up nicely when you get it working.

-Shane.
Triumph
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Triumph »

The wiring diag is a block type that only shows the components as a box with no internal details. The servo has a motor which appears to get power from the ref voltage (5V?) from the ECU to provide movement with a VR or Hall sensor 4 wire output.
May have to set up a simple on/off actuator which I can drive from one of the MS outputs.

Where in Sydney do you live?
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

How is the trouble shooting going on the conversion?

I'm on the south side of Sydney. Are you in Sydney as well?
Triumph
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Triumph »

All wired except for distributor and some form of actuator for the manifold. Distributor will be wired and testing of systems done this weekend. Maybe even a bit of smoke too.....not the Lucas variety I hope.

I am in the north west of Sydney. Run Wakefield Park today in my TR3A and tried to data log my runs with the SD card on my MS3X. No luck, no file despite the LED indicating that all was OK. I have now tried three cards. They all work fine on first fitment. Once the card is removed, read and refitted it will not work again. Have you any experience with them?
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I haven't had experience with the SD logger in the MS but it may have to do with the formatting of the card.

The other thing could be finalising the file before the power is cut. If it is in the middle of data-logging and the ignition is cut, the file will not be finalised & won't be readable. Is there a prodcedure for stopping the logging?
Triumph
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Triumph »

The log is started with a push button and stopped with the same button.
Did not get the TR5 going yesterday but all seems OK, fuel pump relay, priming pulse, and all the gauges are working and show sensible readings. Had some delays in getting the lap top to talk to the ECU so looks like a start next week. The only problem I see is a possible distributor/ignition trigger set up.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Triumph wrote:Hi.
I am converting a Triumph TR5 (2.5ltr 6cyl) to MS-Pro(MS3X) utilizing a modified Mitsubishi 3ltr V6 set up. Only the manifold has been modified to fit the straight 6 and the distributor to fit the Lucas drive. Also no MAF, going MAP.

All the other components are used. Questions are.
1. What is the wiring for the distributor, ie what are the 4 wires for?
2. How does the variable length manifold servo work.
3. What are the 4 wires for the TPS for.

I have already converted ,my TR3A to MS3X with wasted spark and fully sequential injection.
Sounds pretty flash! Any photos for us to ogle?
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Paulinerolo
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Paulinerolo »

Side to side play lateral. It will do funky things with dwell angles and can also mess with rotor/distributor cap contact.